take a risk
- Do you have any dreams that are being held captive behind locked doors?
- Who put the lock on the doors?
- Who has the key?
- What will it take for you to grab the key, unlock the lock, and swing those doors wide open?
We all have been in that place where we feel stuck. That there seems to be no forward movement in the present moment. That we feel like we are being held hostage by a series of decisions that have brought us to wherever Here is.
I have definitely found myself in this place. If I could have only seen that I was the one who was building the walls that were holding me back. I look back and think What was I thinking?! How could I have thought that that scenario was okay? And att the time, I knew that I was the only one holding me back from making a change.
But here I am today, a living testimony to my own little self to how blessings magically can appear when I am willing to muster the courage to do something different. To try something that is the complete opposite of my M.O.
- When I was silent, to speak up.
- When I was afraid, to do something brave.
- When my intuition was telling me that something wasn’t true, to believe myself.
- When I was fearful of losing the status quo, to let it all go with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.
- When I was jealous, to laugh at what I perceived to be threatening.
- When I was feeling bullied by another’s negativity, to feel the freedom and release by my own positivity.
- When I doubted myself, to believe in me.
- When I felt small, to walk tall.
- When I didn’t feel good enough, to love myself.
- When I wasn’t sure, to be me.
To be me. To choose beautiful. To believe. To err on the side of happiness. To not confuse loyalty with stupidity.
Am I beating myself up? No. Not in the least. It is good to have perspective on times that were less than fun. But today? Today is a day for speaking up. For advocating for what it is that makes me happy. For trusting others with the truth. With my truth. For believing in others kindness.
We hear it all the time: “It’s all good.” But is it? Maybe it’s not all good all the time. There are times when it is best to walk away from It’s all good and take a deep breath and try something entirely new. It’s scary, and the unknown doesn’t always feel like a benevolent companion. But it’s okay to give life a chance. To give yourself a chance.
Am I going to make more mistakes? Make more bad decisions? Probably. But I am going to keep hold of the key in my pocket and be brave enough to use it when it is time to make a change. I am going to try to remember to try doing something that is the opposite of what I am feeling or doing or thinking . . . and set off in new directions.